Mesothelioma Facts: Understanding Mesothelioma, Types, Causes, and Symptoms
Here are some basic mesothelioma facts that you should know, such as what’s mesothelioma, types of mesothelioma, mesothelioma causes and symptoms.
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that attacks the mesothelium.
Mesothelium is a thin layer of tissue that envelopes most of our internal organs.
Some organs have mesothelium, includes the lungs (pleura), stomach (abdomen), heart (pericardial), and testicles (tunica vaginalis).
This cancer is classified as aggressive and many sufferers are not successfully treated.
Types of mesothelioma
Mesothelioma most commonly attacks the mesothelium of the lungs (called pleural mesothelioma) and the chest wall.
Another type of mesothelioma which less common is peritoneal mesothelioma, which attacks the abdominal cavity mesothelium.
Mesothelioma is different to chest benign mesothelioma, which is also called solitary fibrous tumor.
Read for related information : Understanding the Different Types and Cases of Malignant Mesothelioma
What causes mesothelioma?
Cancer that attacks the body’s organs originated from the cell mutations that cause its growth becomes uncontrolled until then doubled.
The experts could not determine the cause of this cell mutation yet.
However, the interaction between lifestyle, hereditary and environment conditions is suppose to be a trigger factor of this cancer.
Until now, the exact mesothelioma cause is still unknown, but the major risk factor of this cancer is asbestos.
Read for more information : Mesothelioma Causes that You Need to Know
Mesothelioma facts : Asbestos and mesothelioma
This disease is relatively rare before commercial use of asbestos began.
Asbestos is a mineral that used to make the brakes, floor, roof, and insulation.
Dust from asbestos that inhaled or swallowed will be accumulate in the lungs and abdomen for a long time, usually about 20-50 years, before it eventually develops into mesothelioma.
Generally, mesothelioma diagnosis is more common in men than women, and also in people over the age of 65 years.
Some other factors that can trigger mesothelioma disease, such as:
- An environment where the soil contains asbestos.
- Living in an area or living with someone who has work related to asbestos exposure that can stick in skin and clothing so as to bring asbestos into the home or other environment.
- Ever exposed asbestos or have family members who suffer from mesothelioma.
What are the symptoms of mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma symptoms may vary depending on where the cancer cells are located.
Pericardial mesothelioma may cause pain on chest pain and difficulty of breath, while mesothelioma tunica vaginalis will show symptoms of testicles swelling.
Pleural mesothelioma symptoms such as:
- Cough with unbearable pain.
- Shortness of breath due to the buildup of fluid in the chest.
- Unusual lump on the tissue behind the chest skin.
- Weight loss without obvious cause.
- Often feel excessive fatigue.
- Fever with sweating, especially at night.
- Swollen fingertips.
- Chest pain that is felt below the rib cage.
Peritoneal mesothelioma symptoms such as:
- Pain in the abdominal area.
- There is a lump on the abdominal tissue.
- Swelling in the abdominal area.
- Weight loss without obvious cause.
- Diarrhea or constipation.
Because of mesothelioma symptoms are not specific and can be associated with other conditions, you should be immediately met your doctor when feels the symptoms above, especially if there is a history of asbestos exposure.
Read more : Factors Affecting Mesothelioma Prognosis
That’s some basic mesothelioma facts that you should know. Keep reading for more useful information.